In Case You Missed It: Let’s Celebrate our Love of Horror With Some Movie, Television, and Gaming News That Should Make Your Dark, Horror Heart Skip a Beat.
So I say, screw the date. Screw it! There’s a flu going around. You might already have it. If you don’t, I don’t *knocks on wood as types*, then kudos. But really….who really needs to go out? All I need this February is some good-ass horror films, good-ass chocolate and some healthy, and totally not clinically germaphobic, isolation!
But as I digress from my anxieties being blurted out to the cyber-world. On a positive note, I’ve got some really good updates on Halloween, Victor Crowley, Friday The 13th (remake and games), Jigsaw, Children Of The Corn: Runaway, Bride Of Frankenstein, The Invisible Man, Goosebumps: Slappy’s Revenge, Ash VS Evil Dead, The Walking Dead, Fear The Walking Dead and of course Stranger Things and The Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina.
JAMIE LEE ROCKS THE LOCKS; ‘HALLOWEEN’ STARTS FILMING
As we proudly celebrate Women in Horror Month, horror fans collectively rejoice and eagerly await the return of one of the original and most beloved scream queens in horror history.
Jamie Lee Curtis rocks the return of her 70’s locks, posing in a shot released by the cinema veteran herself via her Twitter page. Additional photos dropped by Andi Matichak, star of the flick, tease a look at Haddonfield High.
Curtis and Matichak, as previously reported will star in the new Halloween. This term seems to be going around a lot, “re-quel”, which will in fact reboot (re) the franchise while also being a sequel to John Carpenter’s original classic. Carpenter, again as previously reported, will be at helm taking on an Executive Producer role and keeping a watchful eye over this highly anticipated installment.
Untitled Halloween Synopsis: “Laurie Strode comes to her final confrontation with Michael Myers, the masked figure who has haunted her since she narrowly escaped his killing spree on Halloween night four decades ago.”
Additional photos below are set shots.
On another exciting note, John Carpenter has agreed to do the film’s score, only on the condition he does it with his son and godson.
“They said they wanted me to do the music, so I said, ‘Well, okay,’ but I’m going to take my son and godson along with me on that one.” [Source: ComicBook.com].
The sequel is said to bypass all of the franchise’s past sequels and remakes, letting Curtis’ Laurie Strode shed her death, insanity and children. Curtis’ Strode is now said to be a mother once more though, but this time a grandmother as well; 40 years after her 1978 horror, Strode has a daughter portrayed by Judy Greer, dubbed Karen, and a granddaughter, Allyson, portrayed by Andi Matichak.
Will Patton and Rob Niter has been cast as of recently as a member of the police force in the film. Nick Castle returns to his reign as Michael Myers, with stunt performer James Jude Courtney also cast as the slasher. Additional cast members include Ginny Gardner, Miles Robbins, Dylan Arnold, Drew Scheid and Rhian Rees.
VICTOR CROWLEY PULLING A JASON AND LEAVING THE SWAMP? ADAM GREEN SAYS ‘MAYBE’ FOR A POTENTIAL PART 5
“If there is a HATCHET 5, Victor Crowley will be leaving the swamp,” says franchise creator/writer/director Adam Green in his Reddit AMA. He continued, “Can’t say anything more yet, but I purposely brought him back in this new film in a way where the rules have slightly changed. We’ll see if we get to make a part 5 in a few years!”
Green continued on with his Reddit reveal:
“As you’ll see with VICTOR CROWLEY (don’t miss the scene that happens in the middle of the end credits!) the series is set up for more stories,” Green then stated “I have a master plan and laid the seeds in this new one for where it’s going to go… but unfortunately in today’s new era where most stream films and too many pirate them illegally, we can’t be too sure that we’ll get to make more of them. We hope that we can continue making one every few years.”
So bottom line here, follow this rhyme: Pay for the flick, don’t be a dick. That’s the only way to help bring Victor Crowley back for more franchise fun. Own your copy of Victor Crowley now! [Source: Reddit AMA]
KIKIKI AHH…NAH! ‘FRIDAY THE 13TH’ REMAKE IS DEAD ON ARRIVAL
While we’re talking about the return of great slasher franchises, we’re sad to report that Friday The 13th will not be rebooted, remade or get a sequel anytime soon. It’s a definite bummer. On top of that, there’s this whole big lawsuit for rights of the franchise going on right now…so let’s not hold our breaths for anything new with the beloved franchise.
What started as a fan base tizzy after Cinepop released an interview with Jason Blum of the Blumhouse Production Company (The Purge, Halloween 2018), with Blum revealing he’d like to do a Friday The 13th film, ended with the horror news moguls at Bloody Disgusting putthing those rumors to rest.
The site claims that F13 is in fact NOT getting remade, and Cinepop is basically just “click-bait”.
The real story? The F13 franchise, which followed resurrected drown-victim/hockey-masked slasher Jason Voorhees, shall remain idle — probably for quite some time. The rights to the franchise, since traded with Paramount for Christopher Nolan’s Interstellar, are in fact returning to Warner Bros. As they return, Victor Miller (Friday The 13th creator) is in a legal rights battle FOR the F13 rights, sentencing the F13 franchise to a dead-stand-still.
I think it’s safe to say we can KI KI Ki AH AH AH all the way to Haddonfield, because the upcoming Halloween is our only hope for icon resurrection. [Source: BloodyDisgusting]
JIGSAW RETURNING FOR THE 9TH TIME? CONVERSATIONS STIR, WITH TOBIN BELL ON BOARD
Saw just may become a Halloween staple once more — ‘once’ being the [probable] operative word. While Jigsaw enjoyed a great box-office, the critical response was lukewarm. However, those involved with the franchise seem to still have faith for future sequels.
Though the ninth installment isn’t confirmed, I can say that a plan is already in motion — but without the Spierig Bros. involved (who directed the most recent Jigsaw).
According to ScreenRant, the brothers had this to say:
“There’s a lot of things that go on in Jigsaw that we talked about where they could go in further movies, and so there’s things with the characters and ideas that have the foundations of other things that could potentially come in the next couple of movies.”
The brothers continued:
“You want to make the movie itself a complete experience for the audience, a satisfying experience in terms of the story, of feeling like there is a conclusion. But at the same time, there are some questions about the characters and their arcs and things like that where we haven’t explained. And we certainly talked about it with the producers and the writer and even the actors – where things potentially could go. It really becomes a question of does the audience want more? Are they keen to see these characters – the characters who survive and even sometimes the characters who don’t survive can end up in another Saw film, based on its history. There’s always room for flashbacks and who knows what.”
Tobin Bell in an earlier interview with SR said he’d love to return for more sequels or rather prequels; The veteran actor claimed, “I don’t know that we have truly talked about the origins of Billy,” implying that future sequels should in fact star the infamous puppet’s origins. Though the origins were revealed back in part 7, with Bell’s John Kramer creating the now infamous antagonist for a then-play thing for his unborn child.
Does a ninth film seem to be in the cards? Will Jigsaw be back to his games for the 9th time? Time will tell. But in the meantime JIGSAW is available now!
‘CHILDREN OF THE CORN: RUNAWAY’ TRAILER AND RELEASE DATE STALKS FROM THE CORN FIELD
So here’s something, we horror fans have a new installment, critically reviewed or not, of SAW, we’ve got a new Hellraiser and now, next month, Children Of The Corn: Runaway!
The new trailer features the madness of the children unfold as title character Ruth (Marci Miller) fights to keep her son safe.
Children of the Corn: Runaway tells the story of young, pregnant Ruth, who escapes a murderous child cult in a small Midwestern town. She spends the next decade living anonymously in an attempt to spare her son the horrors that she experienced as a child. Ruth and her son end up in a small Oklahoma town, but something is following her. Now, she must confront this evil or lose her child.
Children Of The Corn: Runaway is a sequel to the 1984 classic film, which spawned a franchise, Children Of The Corn starring Linda Hamilton (Terminator), Peter Horton, Courtney Gains and John Franklin. The franchise, based off Stephen King’s novel of the same name, followed a child-cult whom believes in the killing of all adults which includes their own kind once they reach the ripe age of 19.
Children Of The Corn: Runaway hits DVD, BLU-RAY and VOD March 13th.
‘BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN’ HAS ITS CREW, BUT STILL LACKS…
We reported back in October of the Bride Of Frankenstein‘s production crash and burn, but now I’m back to sing a different tune; Omega Underground reports the epic resurrection has already a crew!
The Bride rehash is inspired by Universal’s original horror film, inspired by Mary Shelley’s novel of the same name. The rehash was supposed to tail the Tom Cruise led The Mummy rehash and star Angelia Jolie as The Bride and Javier Bodem as her mate. But production fell through.
Despite ALL of the that, OMEGA UNDERGROUND says Javier Bodom is still signed on to the film, with Bill Condom as director. His crew will consist of cinematographer Tobias A. Schliessler (Lone Survivor, Beauty and The Beast, A Wrinkle In Time), production designer Sarah Greenwood (Darkest Hour, Beauty and The Beast, Atonement, Sherlock Holmes), composer Carter Burwell (Carol, Fargo, True Grit, No Country For Old Men, Three Billboards), and costume designer Jacqueline Durran (Beauty and The Beast, Atonement, Darkest Hour).
The absence of Angelina Jolie’s name on the above roster is remanent for this writer, because I just love her (Hackers anyone?!), but according to OU, production may lean towards Gal Gadot, whose schedule may push the film out, IF production really wants her, to the Fall of this year or longer. We’ll keep you posted.
‘INVISIBLE MAN’ WRITER DROPS OUT BECAUSE OF CREATIVE DIFFERENCES. WHAT NOW?
As Universal continues to try to revive its past monster movie glory, the rehash of The Invisible Man hits a snag. The film has lost its writer [reported by Digital Spy last month] and still doesn’t have one! Here’s former screenwriter Ed Soloman’s quote via Digital Spy:
“At the end of the day, I think Universal and I had a different idea of what the movie was gonna be,” said Solomon. “We began thinking that our notions would meld, and I should’ve listened more closely to what they really were wanting.”
Following the box-office failure of Universal’s first reboot attempt, The Mummy, Bride Of Frankenstein‘s plans were soon kiboshed (but now reportedly resurrected, as you previously read). Series overseers/producers Alex Kurtzman and Chris Morgan departed completely with Uni, looking towards Guillermo Del Toro to swoop in, which he didn’t. Now Universal seems to be struggling with where to go from here.
Solomon claimed, “I think Universal has had to come to a kind of reckoning of ‘What are we doing with the Dark Universe?’ and ‘What is our real intention with it?’, and I think they’re reconfiguring it now, which I think is probably good.”
The Invisible Man was reported in the past to have Johnny Depp in talks for the role of the title character.
Should Universal bring all their classic icons back? Should they reconsider their intentions? I say yes and yes. I say bring those icons back , stay classic but modern scary. I say hire James Wan and Leigh Whannel. Why not?
FOR THE HORROR HALF-PINTS
‘GOOSEBUMPS: SLAPPY’S REVENGE PLOT TEASES HALLO-POCALYPSE
He’s ba-a-ck! Slappy’s return for Goosebumps: Slappy’s Revenge may be more dire than before! According to a blog post by backstage.com, we have our very first look at the film’s plot, as well as a locked director and filming date!
“This film will feature one of the series’ more notorious villains: Slappy, the evil ventriloquist’s dummy who’s hell-bent on jump-starting the Halloween apocalypse. Three friends must stop the stuffed adversary before he ruins Halloween for good.”
Jack Black is slated to return to his role as R.L. Stine, with Ari Sandel locked to direct. No further casting has been released. Filming is supposed to take place this month in Atlanta, February 25th, for a, end shoot to be around late Spring.
Now only if we could get Nickelodeon to pick the Goosebumps franchise up for a series order.
NETFLIX AND KILL
‘STRANGER THINGS: SEASON 3’ BRINGS A NEW EVIL AND THE RETURN OF FAMILIAR FACES; AND THE SERIES FINALE MAY BE ON THE HORIZON
“The truth is we’re definitely going four seasons, and there’s very much the possibility of a fifth. Beyond that, it becomes I think very unlikely,” says producer Shawn Levy, speaking on Stranger Things‘ future. Ross Duffer, co-creator of the hit, commented as well on the series via another quote gathered by Digital Spy:
“If we’re able to, there will be at least four [seasons], there could be more. I think there’s going to come a point where ‘why aren’t these people leaving Hawkins?’ Like we’re going to stretch credibility. It wasn’t intended to be a seven-season thing.”
Stranger Things‘ season 3 is to be set a year after the events of season 2 due to the actual actors aging themselves [via Hollywood Reporter]. The third season is said to also be host to a new evil [via Digital Spy]. The kind of evil, is “to be written”, I suppose, as the writing process is still underway with an estimated time of premiere set around 2019.
Season 3 is expected to, but not confirmed to, star all of season 2’s cast. Also probable to star is Eleven’s sister Kali a.k.a 008. “It feels weird to me that we wouldn’t solve [Kali’s] storyline,” Matt Duffer (co-Stranger Things‘ creator) told The Hollywood Reporter back in 2017. Duffer continued, “I would say chances are very high she comes back.” Also said to be returning [at that time], and now with more screen time, is Lucas’ sister, Erica (Priah Ferguson), whom Matt Duffer is quite fond of [via Yahoo].
As for the plot? It’s unclear at the moment, but it’ll be a lot more lighter on Will [per Glamour].“We’re going to give Will a break,” Shawn Levy, Stranger Things executive producer, added. “We’re not going to put Will through hell for a third season in a row. He’ll be dealing with stuff, but he won’t be at rock bottom the way we forced the amazing Noah Schnapp to play.”
Stranger Things is expected to premiere with season 3, around 2019. I’ll keep you posted.
NETFLIX CONJURES UP PRODUCTION FOR ‘THE CHILLING ADVENTURES OF SABRINA’ THIS MONTH!
Ok here’s a quick update on Netflix’s The Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina; The series goes into production this month according to DigitalSpy! Though with no filming begin date, we’re left to wonder when.
Chilling [via Netflix] will follow “Tonally in the vein of Rosemary’s Baby and The Exorcist, this adaptation finds Sabrina wrestling to reconcile her dual nature – half-witch, half-mortal – while standing against the evil forces that threaten her, her family and the daylight world humans inhabit.”
Set to be totally NOT like Melissa Joan Hart’s version, the series, which has already been renewed for a second season pre-debut, is without a complete cast as of current. The only confirmed cast-member is Kieran Shipnoff (Madman) who will play title character, Sabrina Spellman.
Can Netflix cast, film and release Chilling in time for Halloween? Not without a little Spellman magic.
MUST SEE TV
ASH SAYING GOODBYE? ‘ASH VS EVIL DEAD: SEASON 3′ STARZ SERIES’ FINAL SEASON
As much as it pains me to type, the forever funny, forever gory, forever limit-breaking series, Ash VS Evil Dead is coming to an end. Spawn from the classic Sam Raimi b-horror franchise, Evil Dead, the series starred Bruce Campbell, Dana DeLorenzo and Ray Santiago. Campbell released the sad news via IGN. Below you’ll find some teasers to pick up your spirits, because let’s just face it, you’re gonna’ need a pick-me-up. This sh*t is sad.
“The third season finds Ash, having gone from murderous urban legend to humanity-saving hometown hero, discovering that he has a long-lost daughter who’s been entrusted to his care. When Kelly witnesses a televised massacre with Ruby’s fingerprints all over it, she returns with a new friend to warn Ash and Pablo that evil isn’t done with them yet. But evil will learn to never get in between a papa bear and his cub.”
Ash VS Evil Dead is a STARZ series which is premiering with its final season this February. The horror franchise and series followed Ash Williams (Campbell) as he foolishly summoned deadites with a book, the Necronomicon Ex-Mortis, and then had to…exterminate them. Ash, with nothing but his wit and chainsaw hand ranked in the help of Dana DeLorenzo’s Kelly and Ray Santiago’s Pablo, years after his battle, when once again, he read from the book.
Below you’ll find some teasers for Ash VS Evil: Season 3.
Ash vs Evil Dead Season Three will premiere Sunday, February 25, 2018, at 9 PM ET/PT and also be available for streaming or download on the STARZ app.
‘THE WALKING DEAD’ FANS: DON’T FEEL BAD; ROBERT KIRKMAN SAYS CARL MAY NOT DIE…BUT MAGGIE MAY NOT RETURN FOR SEASON 9
While the clock ticks and the 25th begins to creep up on us, just have this known: You know how we all “expected” to watch Carl die in the upcoming TWD mid-season premiere? Well, maybe we should stop expecting it, or maybe that’s what Robert Kirkman wants us to do? At a Walker Stalker Cruise Q&A, the zombie writer released this statement (or teaser, or whatever the hell)…
“[Carl’s] not dead yet,” Kirkman said. “He might not