Synapse Films releases a brand new, remastered, limited edition Blu-ray of the Spanish horror classic “Tombs Of The Blind Dead”.
Synapse Films has announced their 2K restored release of the Spanish Horror Classic, Tombs of the Blind Dead directed by Amando de Ossorio, is available for immediate order. This limited edition 3-disc Blu-ray steelbook set includes the Spanish and U.S. releases of the movie, and a tribute music CD.
The last time this was released for home video was by Blue Underground in a 2005 DVD set of the entire Blind Dead series, and again in 2006 as a stand-alone release.
While I had long heard of this movie from other fans and seen bootlegs and the Blue Underground release at conventions, I didn’t experience the horror of undead Knights Templar until an Exhumed Films event in 2021. Long before the final credits rolled, I was hooked.
Now that I can own the restoration on Blu-ray, I’m beyond happy and thankful to Synapse Films. Here’s hoping that Synapse Films is working to restore and release the remaining films in the series.
Below is the Synapse Films press release for Tombs of the Blind Dead. Synapse Films has produced 4,000 of this limited edition set, so move fast to get yours.
SYNAPSE FILMS RAISES THE DEAD WITH THEIR NEW “TOMBS OF THE BLIND DEAD” LIMITED EDITION STEELBOOK!
This small production run of only 4000 units also includes a limited edition slipcover and exclusive CD soundtrack featuring Zoltan, Cathedral, Hooded Menace + more and is available now!
“Eurohorror at its finest.” – Daily Dead
DON’T MOVE! DON’T BREATHE! DON’T MAKE A SOUND! THEY’RE COMING!
Amando de Ossorio’s unique 1971 Spanish shocker Tombs of the Blind Dead was an international horror hit that spawned three sequels and countless imitations. Now, over 50 years after its debut, Synapse Films is proud to bring this Spanish horror classic back from the grave in a brand new restoration with killer extras that would wake the dead!
The first of four official films in the series, it begins with a trio of friends getting together for a camping trip that quickly turns into blood curdling horror as a legion of long-dead Knights Templar rise from their graves in search of human flesh! When the Templars were originally executed for their cannibalistic rituals, they were hanged outside to die as crows pecked out their eyes. Now, armed with ancient swords and riding their skeletal undead horses into the night looking for prey, these mummified creatures cannot see… they hunt purely by sound alone.
Presented in a beautiful new restoration from the uncut original camera negative, Tombs of the Blind Dead is one of the most extraordinary and influential Spanish horror films ever made.
EXCLUSIVE 3-DISC (2 Blu-ray/1 CD) STEELBOOK™ 4000-PIECE LIMITED EDITION INCLUDES:
- Beautiful 2K restoration from the original camera negative provided by Atlas International, with extensive color correction and additional restoration by Synapse Films
- Limited-edition Steelbook™ packaging with artwork by artist Wes Benscoter
- Limited-edition slipcover featuring original theatrical poster artwork
- Liner notes booklet with writing from film historian and home video columnist Patrick McCabe
- Tombs of the Blind Dead Tribute Audio CD
DISC 1 – ORIGINAL SPANISH-LANGUAGE AND ENGLISH/SPANISH HYBRID SOUNDTRACK VERSIONS
- High-definition (1080p) Blu-ray™ presentation of the original uncut version
- Lossless Spanish PCM 2.0 mono soundtrack
- Lossless “hybrid” English/Spanish PCM 2.0 mono soundtrack
- Optional English subtitles for the Spanish track
- Optional English subtitles for the Spanish sections of the hybrid soundtrack
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the hybrid soundtrack
- Audio commentary with horror film historian and author Troy Howarth
- Audio commentary with star Lone Fleming
- Audio commentary with Rod Barnett & Troy Guinn of the NaschyCast podcast
- Marauders from the Mediterranean – a feature-length documentary exploring the history of the Spanish zombie film, featuring interviews with: Night of the Living Dead writer/producer John Russo, Sitges Film Festival deputy director Mike Hostench, film critic John Martin, academic Calum Waddell, The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue director Jorge Grau, Tombs of the Blind Dead star Lone Fleming, actors Helga Liné, Manuel de Blas, Antonio Mayans and Jack Taylor, Paul Naschy’s son Sergio Molina, author/film critic Kim Newman and academic/writer Steve Jones
- Revenge of Planet Ape – alternate U.S. opening sequence
- Awakening of Spanish Horror Cinema – Featurette
- Salem’s Pop “Templar’s Tears” music video
- Original theatrical trailer
- Still gallery
DISC 2 – THE BLIND DEAD (U.S. THEATRICAL VERSION)
High-definition (1080p) Blu-ray™ presentation of the re-edited U.S. theatrical cut of the film
- Lossless English PCM 2.0 mono soundtrack
- Optional English subtitles
DISC 3 – EXCLUSIVE SYNAPSE FILMS “TRIBUTE TO THE TEMPLARS” COMPACT DISC
Audio CD created exclusively for this limited edition, containing music inspired by Tombs of the Blind Dead. Featuring tunes from Zoltan, Cathedral, Hooded Menace, Machetazo and The Transylvania Hellhounds.
The 4000 unit Tombs of the Blind Dead Limited Collector’s Edition Blu-ray Steelbook™ is available exclusively through the Synapse Films website at: www.synapse-films.com. The retail price is $49.95 (which includes shipping) and is available to purchase now.
All North American orders are fulfilled and shipped via our San Francisco-based replicator, CAV Distribution. For questions regarding the shipping of your order in North America, please contact CAV Distribution via this email address: [email protected]. All international orders will be handled via the fine folks at DiabolikDVD (www.diabolikdvd.com) and can be purchased here.
This release of Tombs of the Blind Dead is REGION FREE.