The Wickedly Talented Ladies of Macabre Merch: Six Questions for the Beauty and Brains Behind the Killer Shop, Slashes and Stitches
I first discovered Slashes and Stitches on Instagram, where I fell head over heels for shop owner Cathy’s incredible handmade dolls. My love affair began when I saw her Silent Hill Nurse doll, and it only grew as I discovered more of this talented seamstress’ work. She makes some of the most amazing cute and creepy dolls, pillows and tote bags. As a former English Major, writer and bookwork, I absolutely love that much of her work is inspired by classic horror literature. And many of her killer dolls pay homage to female horror characters.
1. What was the inspiration for starting your own business and how did you get started?
I started making curtains and pillows for my house because I couldn’t find exactly what I wanted on the market. I posted pictures of the things I made and, soon after, my friends wanted me to make specialty items for them. That’s when someone suggested I start selling on Etsy.
2. When and how did you fall in love with horror?
I think I was around 8 or 9 years old when I had to read “The Tell Tale Heart” in school. I really enjoyed the story, so I went to the library and found books by Edgar Allan Poe. I read them all….in one summer. I was hooked! I then moved on to Alfred Hitchcock and Stephen King.
3. Where does inspiration for your products come from? What is your creative process like?
Some of the inspiration for my products is from the ghoulish stories I’ve read. Others are inspired by my customers.
4. What’s the best part about running your own business, and what’s the hardest part?
The best part of running my own business is that I get to do what I love and share with others. The hardest part is keeping up with the orders.
5. Tell me why you think it’s important for people to support small business? Is it especially important for people to support female-owned business (if so, why)?
I think it’s important to support small businesses because our items are not mass produced and, in most cases, they are of better quality. You get better service, period.